There may be occasions when you need to shift your web-site from one webhost to another.
Shifting of your web-site has to be done with care so that you donot lose visitors or your Search Engine rankings.
You can shift your web-site following these simple steps:
If you have any special needs of shifting web-sites, please contact us with your requirements.
- Backup your website pages using your Hosting Control Panel.
- Backup your Database. You can take a backup using phpmyadmin
or the Hosting Control Panel or the mysqldump command. It is always a good idea to take the backup in two parts - first only the data structure, and then the data content.
- Unzip and copy your web-site files to the new host using FTP.
- Restore the database at the new host. If the database is large, you can use the bigdump script.
- Test the site on the new server by making a temporary change in your Windows Hosts file to point the domain to the new host.
- Make changes to the scripts which may be caused due to change of hosting environment.
- After the site is tested at the new host, you can point the site to new domain by changing the DNS record at the Registrar.
- Donot shutdown your old host immediately. Redirect traffic from the old host by adding a '301 Redirect' line in the .htaccess file.